Saturday 31 January 2009

Why Blogs?

I am a big fan of blogs. In today's advertising world, they are referred to as "long-tail marketing," and they work very well.

Blogs allow you to put forward useful information, as well as your name, on a particular topic.

If you happen to have a car dealership in Vancouver, a blog about things to look for when buying a new car in Vancouver would be useful. People thinking about getting a new car, and researching into different brands and models (and places to buy) would stumble across your blog, and if it was well-written and informative, they would absorb it as well.

This specific knowledge set allows you to become an authority on the matter, and it leads people straight to you on a Google search.

So far, I have set up blogs for everything that I thought could be useful to me, my friends and the businesses I have worked for. So far, I have always managed to get to either #1 or #2 on the Google rankings. It takes some time, and it is very labour-intensive, but it works, and the results stay there indefinitely. The first blog I ever made, for Creative Wonders, was called Sustainability Advertising. It has held the #1 spot for over five years.